Raylene Cravens, owner of Lash by Lash studio in Oklahoma City, was just named NovaLash's 2019 Lash Artist of the Year.
Cravens has been a licensed cosmetologist since 2008 and is certified in many various services. In June 2010, she became certified by Novalash and found her true passion: lashes! In addition to her win as this year's Lash Artist of the Year, Cravens is also a 2019 NovaLash Brand Ambassador.
"My immediate reaction to winning was just shock," Cravens says. "I have three other people with me who are just as amazingly talented and even as finalists, we're all winners. Nine years ago I was a hairdresser looking in the back of a magazine and saw an ad for eyelash extensions. I went home that same night and saw that on E! News, they were talking about eyelash extensions. I got on Google and NovaLash popped up. Two weeks later, there was a class in my state. I just felt it was my destiny."
Here, Cravens shares her top tips for lash success:
- Have a quality product that provides the best and safest products as well as education. Have a company that supports you. I chose Novalash for all those reasons. Especially because of their award-winning Platinum Bond and their 15 years in the business leading the way.
- Then the 4P’s: Practice, Patience, Passion and Persistence. Always give more than 100%. Have a good eye and be a perfectionist.
- Provide your client with a damage-free set of lashes by having great separation several times throughout the application. Always apply extensions on clean lashes for a longer-lasting wear.
- Teach proper aftercare. Novalash is oil and waterproof, so using the CleanLASH helps the life of the extensions. Also allowing no downtime.
- Stay very active on social media. Give advice and comment on others. Stay positive. Give yourself a platform, and build your brand and business. Stand out from the rest. I’m able to do that with my Novalash under eye stickers that show instantly what brand I use.
Watch MODERN's exclusive interview with Cravens after her big win:
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.