For every client booking appointments for pistachio or purple hair color, you probably get 1,000 clients requesting a natural hue like light ash brown or warm golden blonde. So it’s smart to be sure your natural-looking highlighting and lowlighting skills and formulations are on point! Caitlynn Demetrician @hair_by_caitie loves turning out better-than-natural blondes and brunettes at her studio in Hawthorne, CA. That’s why the Paul Mitchell National Educator has embraced the new Paul Mitchell the Color XG Permanent Hair Color New Naturals. She uses the 10 new brown ash, brown gold and violet gold tones to add richness and depth to her hair colors; refresh, refine and neutralize unwanted tones and blend gray. Here’s her in-demand strategy for upgrading a way-too-ordinary warm blonde into something dimensional and special.
Warm Honey Blonde How-To
Two levels of highlights plus warm golden blonde lowlights bring golden blonde hair to life.
Starting Level: 7
Formula 1: 1 scoop Synchrolift® + 2 oz. 5 volume Paul Mitchell® Cream Developer
Formula 2: 1 scoop Synchrolift® + 2 oz 10 volume Paul Mitchell® Cream Developer 2 oz.
Formula 3: 2 oz the color XG® 7BG (7/73) 2 oz. + 2 oz 10 volume Paul Mitchell® Cream Developer
1. Create a diamond on top of the head leaving a 2-inch section around the front hair line.
2. Behind the diamond section, create a small mohawk section in the crown.
3. Starting in the back mohawk section, take ¼-inch sections and weave off the top of the section using Formula 1.
4. Once this panel is complete, move to the 2-inch section in the front hairline. Use 1/8-inch sections and weave off the top of the section throughout the front hairline using Formula 1.
TIP: If less blonde is desired, continue using ¼-inch sections.
5. Move to the diamond section and split down the middle for control. Take ¼-inch horizontal-diagonal sections and weave off the top of the section using Formula 2.
TIP: Staggering developers allows for even lightening as you work throughout the head.
6. Once all foils are placed in hair, use Formula 3 as a lowlight and apply between every other foil.
7. Process for 25 minutes and follow with Paul Mitchell Color Protect® Post Color Shampoo and Conditioner.
Learn more about all the Paul Mitchell pro color options.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.