Top Artists Urge Industry Pros to “Look for the Tag”
Sam Villa on Pivot Point’s “Look for the Tag” video.
Pivot Point’s “Look for the Tag” campaign continues as hair pros are watching the Pivot Point “Ethics Before Price: Look for the Tag” documentary to learn the benefits of purchasing only mannequins that are manufactured in an SA8000 facility. An SA8000 certification tag on the mannequin ensures that the mannequin was produced in accordance with international labor standards that protect workers. Pivot Point mannequins are manufactured in an SA8000 facility that:
- Guards against forced and child labor.
- Provides the workers with a healthy and safe working environment.
- Respects the right of workers to join unions.
- Practices zero tolerance for discrimination.
Among the hair professionals making an emotional appeal in the video to “look for the tag” are iconic names including Christopher Dove, John Simpson, Vivienne Mackinder, Eden Sassoon, Nick Stenson and Sam Villa. Here’s a sampling of their messages:
- “Remember, people buy people; then they buy things. This is an initiative to help those people out in those countries that are making these mannequins for us.”—Sam Villa, co-founder of Sam Villa and global artistic ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, who on the video shares memories of his own early work in the farm fields.
- “I don’t think as human beings we’re fully aware that we are accountable for our own actions. Supporting people who are making us more aware of how people are being treated in different countries is a way of moving forward and making the world a better place.”—Christopher Dove, co-founder of CoCre8 Education.
- “It’s a huge responsibility for a manufacturer to make the right choices. If you are a leader, you lead by example.”—Eden Sassoon, owner of EDEN by Eden Sassoon Pilates & Salon and founder of Beauty Gives Back.
The video also includes thoughts from Leila Janah, founder of Samasource, a social enterprise that helps people lift themselves out of poverty through digital work. “It’s really about leadership, and that’s going to determine what the world looks like in 50 years,” Janah says. “I believe that the best way to change the world happens long before you think about donating to charity. It happens how you make your decision as a purchaser.”
To watch the video, go to pivot-point.com/SA8000.