Matrix has released its Total Results: A Curl Can Dream collection after three years in research and development. This pattern-preserving haircare and styling system consists of six products to enrich and enhance curls, including a shampoo, co-wash, mask, cream, gel and oil, making it ideal for all curls and coils and for fine, medium and coarse hair.
The formulas are enriched with Manuka honey extract and brought to you in jumbo-sized packs, with enough formula for even the thirstiest of hair. When used as a system, it promises to define curls and coils, while keeping hair moisturized with no flaking or crunch.
The A Curl Can Dream collection was developed with three diversity hair experts, including Matrix Artistic Director Michelle O’Connor. Tested on over 300+ women, the formulas were created to ensure they’re compatible with a broad spectrum of curl types and textures.
The products were also vetted via the Hair Diversity Matrix, a Matrix brand proprietary scoreboard that’s made up of four key hair dimensions – natural hair color levels, underlying pigments, hair diameter, and pattern – to ensure the portfolio addresses the unique needs of every hair type.
“As a hairstylist for over 20 years and a self-professed curly girl myself, I know the importance of caring for our unique curls and texture,” says O’Connor. “After three years of development and collaboration with Matrix, I am so thrilled to share this collection with the world.”
The A Curl Can Dream Line
Designed for in-salon and at-home use, the system includes:
- Deep Cleanse: A Curl Can Dream Shampoo ($17) is made for curls and coils and is infused with Manuka honey extract, a natural humectant known to moisturize hair. It is deep cleansing and perfect for wash day to remove build up while still preserving your pattern.
- Gentle Cleanse: A Curl Can Dream Co-Wash ($17) is a gentle cleansing conditioner, also infused with Manuka honey extract, is perfect for in-between wash days to revive curls. Use two times a week to cleanse hair for light mild cleansing.
- Nourish: A Curl Can Dream Rich Mask ($19) is a deep hydrating mask formulated to preserve the pattern of curls and coils. Use daily or as often as you wash your hair, to bring intense moisture to curls and coils.
- Moisturize: A Curl Can Dream Moisturizing Cream ($24) is the perfect leave-in cream to provide moisture and definition, without flaking or crunch. Use after cleansing and conditioning. It is a buildable product and allows the user to apply the desired amount of product depending on curl density – less for fine hair or more for thick hair.
- Define: A Curl Can Dream Light Hold Gel ($19) is a coil defining gel that layers over the moisturizing cream without flaking or crunch.
- Finish: A Curl Can Dream Light Weight Oil ($24) formulated with a blend of natural oils including Vitamin E, Jojoba Seed, Coconut and Sunflower Seed Oil – it helps support a healthy scalp while nourishing, moisturizing and strengthening the hair.
“When we were developing this collection, I thought about what the perfect care package for curls would be,” says O’Connor. “This line is it!”
Of particular interest is the A Curl Can Dream Co-Wash, which was designed with a modern woman in mind. She's active and works out daily, and wants a way to gently wash in between her weekly shampoo cleanse. This product is for her.
“Society fought curls for so long, but yet women with curly hair were seen as exotic and sexy,” says O’Connor. “I’m so happy that curly hair is being embraced in its true form now.”
Hair Pattern Navigation Key Scale
Matrix has also developed a Hair Pattern Navigation Key scale, which interjects the dimensions of pattern and diameter from the Hair Diversity Matrix to allow users to determine their curl type.
“From an education and brand perspective, it was of the utmost importance that we made a chart that speaks to all,” says Alfredo Lewis, VP Education, Matrix Worldwide. “In the spirit of having products and education that embraces all hair types, the chart is a hybrid of both consumer and professional language. When speaking to consumers, stylists identify diameter and pattern as characteristics and the needs of the hair depend on both metrics. We use the terms straight, wavy, curly and coily to identify pattern, and fine, medium and coarse to identify diameter.”
Total Results: A Curl Can Dream collection is available at ULTA and ULTA.com.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.