We are often asked how to get recognized on instagram. This is YOUR billboard and a free way for you to promote yourself and make yourself known to your community and the world (it's global!)
We know it’s not easy, but it is SOOOO worth it. Many professionals have earned new clients as a result of a great IG page. Think of Guy Tang (@guy_tang)! He is a true superstar with almost 2 million followers and his fame continues to increase daily. People can find him and see (and appreciate) his work because of instagram. You should follow him to see HOW TO DO IT!
In the meantime, we offer our top ten tips on Instagram Stardom.
- PHOTOS: Have GREAT photos. Please use the best camera (or cell phone) possible. Make sure to have great light (natural best), great angle (straight on best), crisp shot. Avoid flash..it distorts and do NOT use filters. (Extra points if you have a before shot if it's a makeover!)
- WHO ARE YOU?: Make sure to offer great identification about YOU on your own page so that when we click through we know who you are (Are you a salon professional? Where do you work, including city and state? How does one reach you, that kind of thing.) Make sure your site helps to identify who you are and what you are about. If you are a colorist, try to make most of your posts all about color. If you are a nail artist – nails, make up artist – nails, etc.
- BE PROFESSIONAL: Make sure your own page is PROFESSIONAL (If we see lots of pix of your kids and food we feel like we are intruding.)
- TAGGING: Tag us! It really works. We frequently go to our hashtag to see who wants our attention! (#modernsalon). Make sure to add at least 5 hashtags in the comments area (don't mess up your caption with a lot of tags.) Don't forget to tag your city AND your name!
- CONSISTENCY: Be consistent. Post at least once a day (we try to post at least 4 times per day).
- STUDY: Look at other popular Instagram feeds. See what appeals to YOU. It is a great way to learn.
- CAPTION: Offer info in caption so we know it is YOUR work and not just something you are using as inspiration from someone else. (Example: "It took 4 hours for this amazing correction.") If it is a collaboration, please make sure to credit the other artist.
- SELFIE-FREE: Ease up on the SELFIES. Unless you are a model and promoting yourself AS a model (see tips 2 and 3).
- WATER MARKING: Those little "identity" marks are a great way to keep your work from ending up on another page - with someone else taking credit for your work. Keep them small so that it does not interfere with the look.
- GIVE THANKS: Thank whoever reposts your work and make sure your comments are NICE, SUPPORTIVE and PROFESSIONAL. You DO get more bees with honey....