Lady Gaga's Super Bowl Halftime Show Hair Style Change
Lady Gaga's stunning performance at the 51st Super Bowl Halftime Show included all the wardrobe, hair and makeup changes needed to make our pop star dreams come true. She opened the show with a moving rendition of "This Land Is Your Land," with her hair secured in an elegant chignon with swept-back fringe. The style stayed perfectly in place during a dramatic leap from the roof to the stage, but once landed, she pulled loose a pin and sexy, voluminous waves fell perfectly into place—and continued to look amazing throughout her medley of top hits.
The mastermind behind the hair was Gaga's stylist Frederic Aspiras, who used Matrix’s Style Link, Bond Ultim8, Color Sync Watercolors and Biolage R.A.W. lines to create the styles. Matrix Artistic Directors Nick Stenson and Danielle Keasling, along with a team of Matrix Artistic Educators, Lauren Vega, Victor Mendoza, Guillermo Pieri, and Vicky Yeremchuk, styled the dancers’ looks.
"Earlier this week, after we aligned on the style, we touched up her blonde to ensure it was bright for this big night," Aspiras said. "I used Light Master mixed with Matrix Bond Ultim8, which protected her hair bonds and prevented damage during the processing. I love it because it doesn't take any extra time, you can just add it to your color formula. We also dip dyed her ends a pastel pink with Matrix Color Sync Watercolors."
"For tonight's performance, we had to ensure her flowing hair tendrils stayed flowing and in place," Aspiras added."It is important to know how to layer your hair products and Matrix products make it very easy for you to do that."
How-To: Lady Gaga's Platinum & Pink Hair Color
2 scoops Light Master & 2 ½ oz. 20 Volume Matrix Cream Developer & Bond Ultim8 Step 1
1 ½ oz. Color Sync SPGV & 1 ½ oz. 10 Volume Matrix Cream Developer & Bond Ultim8 Step 1
1 ½ oz. Color Sync Clear & ¼ oz. 10P & ¼ oz. Watercolors Quartz Pink & 2 oz. 10 Volume Matrix Cream Developer & Bond Ultim8 Step 1
1. Apply Lightener formula approximately 1 to 2 inches off scalp to create a shadow base. Lighten to pale yellow for up to 50 minutes, rinse thoroughly. Cleanse and towel dry.
2. Next, melt two formulas together by applying Formula B to the mid-lengths and Formula C to the ends. Process up to 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
3. Apply Bond Ultim8 Step 2 and process for 10 minutes. Rinse, cleanse and condition with Total Results Color Obsessed Shampoo and Conditioner.
How-To: Lady Gaga’s First Look—The Smooth Chignon
1. Wrap hair up into a French twist knot and secure with pins. Create a traditional but simple twist, leaving the ends out and make them into a knot. This allows for the hair to drop and still be bouncy and smooth.
2. Once up in the French twist knot, spritz with Matrix Style Link Style Fixer Finishing Hairspray to tame any flyaways and loose pieces.
How-To: Lady Gaga’s Second Look—Sexy Waves
1. Wash with Matrix Biolage R.A.W. Recover Shampoo and Matrix Biolage R.A.W. Re-Hab Mask. This will help to repair damage that hair may have from blow drying and the use of hot tools.
2. After cleansing, detangle and towel dry. Apply Matrix Style Link Mineral Airy Builder Dry Texture Foam from root to tips.
3. Section hair and blow dry using a large boar bristle brush. Spray Matrix Style Link Heat Buffer on each section as you dry. Layer Matrix Style Link Smooth Setter to the mid-section and ends to add that extra hold and smoothness.
4. Blow dry the sides of hair away from the face, the back sections downward flipping out the ends, and the top of head forward then rounding it up.
5. Curl the top and sides of the head using a medium barrel curling iron. Curl the back of the head using a large barrel curling iron. Pin the curls with clips as you go.
6. Allow the curls to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove clips and brush out with a large paddle brush. Spray Matrix Style Link Texture Builder Messy Finish Spray to the whole head then piece out curls and style away.
7. Once you have finished, give the look a good shot of Matrix Style Link Style Fixer Finishing Hairspray.
Originally posted on Salon Today.